N and I recently visited the renovated Blackstone Hotel in Chicago. The interior design is totally wild. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the carpet selection. It appears to be the Swirl Rug designed by Paul Smith for The Rug Company. If so, I think they would have fared better selecting the slightly more subdued color choice below.

The front desk includes a small live video installation by Lincoln Schatz.

Lincoln's work incites a visceral response - in particular, the Cube.

While there, I treated N to a fancy breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Mercat. We shared a crab omelette with asparagus and roasted peppers and lemon-ricotta pancakes. The bill was a bit extravagant for breakfast, but every once in awhile it's good to indulge - especially when it leaves you reminiscent of the food for days after.

Photo of the Blackstone Lobby from Chicago Magazine.